A few reminders for everyone as the SSSA meetings draw closer:
1. Abstract final edits are due this Friday, July 27. If you’ve lost the email with the link to edit your abstract, go here.
2. Housing and Registration are open. Early registration rates end Sept. 11. Regular registration ($60-65 higher than early registration) is Sept. 11-25.
3. Printed Program Books will cost $15 at the meetings. Alternatively, an app is available for your mobile device. Last year the app was actually quite useful and user-friendly, so I expect it to be more so this year.
4. The Annual Meetings Program online is available here.
5. Several Society-wide sessions are available this year, including a Town Hall meeting and plenary speakers.
6. Div. S7 has two great Symposia this year:
Symposium--Forest Range and Wildland Soils Education: Trends in Academia and Relevance in the Real World
Symposium--Extreme Events: Consequences for Biogeochemical Cycling and Feedbacks to the Climate System: I
7. Dr. Tom Terry is presenting the Sergei A. Wilde Distinguished Lectureship on Forest Soils
8. S7 is cosponsoring a number of sessions, but the program does not highlight these as well as it should, and some divisions don’t officially mention cosponsoring divisions. Here are most of them (it’s possible I missed one or two). If I missed a session we’re cosponsoring, please let me know.
Div. S03 Symposium--Soil Processes and Ecosystem Services
Div. S03 Soil Processes and Ecosystem Services: I - Role of Microbial Processes
Div. S05 Advancing Pedology - How Is the Anthropocene Transforming Pedology? (Organized and Presided by our own Dan Richter and Patrick Drohan)
9. Monday afternoon we’ll have a Graduate Student and New Member reception after a poster discussion. Students are presenting and competing in regular sessions this year, but we’ll retain the get-to-know-them session from last year.
10. The Business Meeting is Tuesday.
11. We’ll have a special session on Wednesday morning to highlight NEON, Inc.
If you have any other questions or comments, please let me know.
Div S07 Forest, Range and Wildland Soils Chairperson